3 inch copper to 3 inch pvc

Old 05-31-03, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 inch copper to 3 inch pvc

I am remodeling a 38 year old house that has all copper drain pipe. I need to connect 3 inch pvc to the 3 inch copper, I have tried ferncos but I dont really trust them as I was unable to find one for this specific purpose so the size isnt exactly right. Is it possible to find a female threaded 3" copper fitting?

Thanks

Ed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-03, 10:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

A Fernco coupling would be fine for this purpose, but if you prefer, you can use a no-hub coupling.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-01-03, 07:21 AM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
They also have some things called low-flex no hubs which are like a heavy duty fernco.
Here in Ohio they are code.Inspectors look for the yellow label on them.

Old 06-01-03, 07:54 AM
You need to go to a plumbing supply house and look for a fernco that is for that exact size. It will be listed as 3" CI/PVC - 3"CU. One side will have a thinner rubber wall which is the CI/PVC side.
If you do not trust this, look at the shielded fernco's (Mission Clay coupler) that have the stainless steel band that supports the rubber to a higher degree. These are also made the exact size for any number of pipe sizes and choices between pipe material.

These are your 2 easiest choices for what you want to do.

Good luck with your project, let us know how it turned out....

Old 06-01-03, 08:46 AM
T
You could also always simly sweat a 3" threaded male or female adaptor to that pipe.

Old 06-01-03, 05:55 PM
the problem with sweating a 3" adapter to it is finding the darn thing.........maybe our hardware stores are lacking in plumbing stuff here but they dont have anything that big.

Old 06-01-03, 08:01 PM
Thought I answered this question, you can get this fitting at a plumbing supply house, if not bet you can find and order one online somewhere.

Old 06-01-03, 08:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A fernco is both code and the right way to go... In many cases, the threaded connection won't even be code, and that is assuming that you can even effectively sweat the 3" adapter... Soldering 1/2" to 1" is very easy, but 3" takes some skill and practice...

Old 06-01-03, 08:53 PM
Threaded fitting are code here, the thing about the fernco is unless you can find a fernco 3 x 2-3/4" which if thay make it, I never seen one or really needed to have to get one, if you use a 3 x 3 fernco between the copper and the pvc, the pipe will never be in-line of each other, which can leave you and edge for any waste to collect at that point, and we all know what happens afterwards, if you go with a 3" copper fitting, get a female adaptor and the use a 3" pvc male adaptor screwed into it.