pressure switch simple question

Old 06-01-03, 08:04 AM
jeff
Visiting Guest
pressire switch

My home water system- pump, bladder pressure tank-operates at 20/40 psi. Can i replace the pressure switch with 30/50 to obtain higher pressure? I adjusted the existing switch to increase the pressure but it will not activate the high pressure cut out much above 40 psi

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 08:59 AM
jeff
Visiting Guest
pressure switch simple question

Please answer my simple question. Would there be any problem replacing a 20/40 Suare D pressure switch with a 30/50 switch?

Old 06-01-03, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
No. There will be increased pressure on the system, but as long as your plumbing is intact shouldn't be a problem.

You'll need to increase the preload pressure in the tank. Check to tank to see if it's rated for a higher pressure. Turn off pump and open a faucet to relieve pressure. Check tank pressure with a tire pressure gauge. With the 20-40 switch it's probably around 20-22 psi. Increase to 30-32 psi for the 30-50 switch.

Old 06-01-03, 10:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: jeff

I combined {Merged} both your postings into one. Although your question was not answered immediately, posting two on the same problem causes one to remain posted without a reply.

Please use the reply button to add any other information or ask additional questions on this subject. Doing so keeps all the information together in one posting allowing all readers to learn from reading the question and the replies offered. Thanks.

Old 06-02-03, 07:24 PM
jeff
Visiting Guest
Cool pressire,, oops.. ,pressure switch

thank you very much for answering my ?

my plumber says... that kind of set up is 20/40. I said yes. It was when i started.' I said. Now its 42/17. It's in the differential. "Huh" I said. three lbs less than cut in pressure.....

He asked me 'how far to the water? It's a cistern,...,says I.

He said "a jet pump, though theoretically able to lift 28 feet h2o.....

"anyway" .. The big spring is cut in setting. the small nut is differential between cut in and cut out. around here that's around 20/40. The difference between flow & pressure ....... that might be music or art...... The pressure tank should be 'close to your cut in pressire; elsewise, you'd suck the guts out of the that blue thing near your pump.

Old 06-02-03, 11:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

With the water pressure completely off of the the pressure tank, it should be set two psi below your cut-on pressure. i.e. a pump set at 30-50 psi, should have the tankset as 28.
Visit www.peekspump.com or www.jessstryker.com for excellent tutorials on wells and pumps.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-03-03, 12:20 AM
jeff
Visiting Guest
thx for your reply, the moral is "if it ain't broke , don't fix it.l

I do appreciate a good discuscion, et tu.? the next step::: the blue tank is at 17 , , ,too low , , somebody isw gonna find a bicycle pump...