Sewer Smell from toliet when on Septic

Old 06-02-03, 02:21 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
Sewer Smell from toliet when on Septic

Yes I am not on a sewer line we are on a septic tank and we have 3 toliets 2 upstairs and 1 downstairs the question is on the toliet downstairs we are getting like a sewer smell from the toliet. The toliets upstairs no smell at all. We have had our septic tank pump out about 2 and 1/2 years ago and they said to do it in about 3 to 4 years. I would just like to know what could the smell be coming from. Thanks for any help Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-03, 02:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have a plugged up vent stack.

Old 06-03-03, 03:20 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
I see the reply were it says I have a clogged vent stack and I did a search and it showed other ones like this and it said to clean out any debris then flush with water hose. So does that mean to stick hose in vent and spray it down vent. Is this ok and where does water go. Thanks

Old 06-04-03, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Yes, that is what it means.
A drain/waste/vent system is all interconnected. Water sprayed down a vent pipe stack goes down and out the main drain line.
Is that bathroom with the odor problem on a separate stack from the other bathrooms?
Are you sure that the odor is coming from the toilet itself? Almost all of the water in the toilet bowl would have to be siphoned out to allow septic odor back through the toilet built-in trap.
Have you checked for leaking around the base of the toilet to see if the wax ring seal under it is leaking? Does that toilet move or rock at all?
Mike

Old 06-04-03, 02:23 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
There is still water in the toliet and the toliet is not loose. What I did decide it may be is were we hardly ever use the sink and maybe the water from the sink in the trap had dried up and coming thru sink. When I smell around sink and toliet you really cant pinpoint were it is coming from but I ran the sink water for a minute or so and the smell has went way down after coming back and checking it a few hours later, there is just a small smell of it know. Does that kind of smell linger for a while till it is completely gone. Like I said it has been about 14 hours but now just getting a small faint smell of it. Thanks

Old 06-04-03, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Use some air freshener.
Run water in all traps on a regular basis to replace evaporation, and you won't get the septic odor.
Good luck!
Mike