With shower on, most hot water comes from tub spout

Old 06-02-03, 03:57 PM
Stone Mtn Mom
Visiting Guest
Question With shower on, most hot water comes from tub spout

Have a 35 yr old home. In master bath , most of hot water seems to go straight down the drain from the tub spout and not from showerhead. Scalding your feet while you get a tepid shower.

What causes this? Is there anything I can do myself to correct?

No clue what to do. Thank-you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-03, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to replace the diverter to have all the water go through the shower head when you want to use the shower.

If you pull up a knob/lever on top the tub spout, you need to replace the spout with a new one.

If you have a 3 handle tub and shower valve, you need to pull the handle off the middle valve, remove the valve stem and then replace with the same parts.

more questions or if you have more problems, ask away in this thread, and someone will answer you.

Old 06-03-03, 05:56 AM
Stone Mtn Mom
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks!

Will do.

Two questions....

1) Is there some sort of kit available?

2) Do I have to shut off water to house to do the job?

My friends are amazed at the things I do on my own, after finding knowledgeable online guidance!

Old 06-03-03, 12:17 PM
skylane42
Visiting Guest
I currently have the same problem.. but I fixed it. Make sure the shower head itself is cleaned out... rust and debris can clog this opening forcing the back pressure to exit out the spout. If after you clean the head out and are sure of it (backflush as well) check again for operation. If the problem persist you can simply buy a new spout with the diverter and that should cure the problem. New spouts cost $10 to $40.. just buy something you like and that doesn`t seem flimsy.

An no, you don`t have to shut the water supply off.

Old 06-03-03, 12:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

If you're replacing a tub spout with diverter, you don't have to shut off the main water supply valve.
If you're repairing a diverter in the wall, you do.
If the problem is the tub spout, you can get a one-size fits all spout. There are two types. One screws onto a threaded pipe fitting coming out of the wall. The other is held on a set screw in a slot under the spout.
Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only on the male threads of the fitting from the wall.
You can do a Search above for more how-to info.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-03-03, 04:28 PM
Stone Mtn Mom
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks, All!

Couldn't do it without you!.

Old 06-05-03, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually only a minor correction for you... A diverter (even in the wall) doesn't require the water to be turned off to be worked on... If you are changing the hot and cold stems, then you would, but the diverter you can change as long as you leave the hot and cold off to the valve while you work...