Howling Pipe

Old 06-02-03, 04:09 PM
george64
Visiting Guest
Question Howling Pipe

I have a condo in a three flat ... no work has been done recently to the plumbing, however the unit did sit vacant for several months. The previous owners never compained of any issues.

Here's the problem, when taking a shower the pipes HOWL, SCREAM. SQUEAL ... whatever word you want to use, it's LOUD!

Only happens when the shower is on, does not always start immediately, but eventually it's there. Never makes noise when only filling the tub...

... replaced the shower head, still have the problem .. tested with no shower head installed and found no problem... Also the tub spout does not completely seal when pulling the handle up to start shower. The noise seems to be coming form the valve area (single handle Moen).

Any ideas? Could it be the tub spout (please make it the tub spout!!) I don't want to have to replace the valve.... old house, new surround, not much access.... Also to add to the difficulty the water shut off is at the main under the sidewalk (I know, should've been added inside long ago...) and it incredibly difficult to shut off...

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-03, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Test the pressure at the house, could be high water pressure.

Old 06-04-03, 08:52 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Good news george64 it's you'r tub spout.Replace it wth a new pull up spout.As you stated it is not working properly so it needs replacing anyway.Also when you are in the shower and it does this sound pull up on diverter bet the noise changes tune.

Old 06-04-03, 09:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, you won't likely have to change the valve in any case... As P2K says, it could just be high water pressure, but even with high pressure, a properly working valve should not be screaming at you... The diverter washer could be causing the problem, but that is hard to say since it wasn't happening with not showerhead on, but then that would be much less restrictive on the water so it may not create the same loud noise... My guess is you could turn the water off and just replace the cartridge in the valve... While you are at the store shopping for the stem, pick up a $10 pressure guage and check the house pressure...