shower/tub leak

Old 06-02-03, 05:31 PM
kphth1
Visiting Guest
shower/tub leak

i have a leak in my tub (possibly compression) fixtures that i tried to fix by replacing the o-rings. the fix did not work and water is still coming out of the faucet at a rate of about 1gal/day, most likely from the hot water side. i need advice on what to do next. it looks like there is some more smaller holes behind where the cartridge fits. help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-03, 08:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, it sounds like you replaced the orings around the cartridge itself which cause leakage around the handle when they are bad... The two holes back behind the cartridge you speak of are the actual washers you need to replace... Put a small screwdriver inside each hole and they should pop out with a spring behind them... Take them to a hardware store and get the replacement washers and reinstall them... Sounds like you have a Delta or similar valve... If I misunderstood your meaning, please give more info and we will try to help if we can...

Old 06-04-03, 01:15 PM
kphth1
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply

.. also was there some kind of lubricant i should have used to more seal the area around the o-rings? (the leak is coing out of the handles now) the cartridges look like they're pretty old (plastic/nylon) and i couldnt find replacements at HD

Old 06-04-03, 08:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You probably just got the wrong o-rings... The ones you got might be too thin... I do usually put stem grease on all o-rings, but it won't help them seal as much as just make them last longer... Just experiment with some different orings...