Toilet repair

Old 06-03-03, 05:57 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Toilet repair

On the back of my toilet it tells me I have a 1.6 gpf. However a plumber friend of mine told me it was actually a 3 gpf as the tank on the back was 3 gallons and all the water drains on each flush. Is there a way I can just replace the flushing mechanism and make it a 1.6, or do I have to replace the whole tank? We have tried the bring thing, and it didn't really work all that well.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-03, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if it needs 3 gallons to flush correctly, changing the volume required, will adversly effect it

Old 06-03-03, 06:41 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
So I would be better off changing out the whole unit then?

Old 06-03-03, 06:44 AM
So you say the toilet is 1.5 and the tank is 3gal, if you want less water to flush the toilet, you can always install a water saver flapper, so what is it that is not right with it right now that makes you want to lessen the water level in the tank?

Old 06-03-03, 07:02 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Toilet works fine, it is just a high water bill we have that we want to cut down. My wife and I have been living in the house for over 2 years now, but have just purchased it. Now the water bill is ours and we are trying to cut it down. Normally runs in the summer time with two kids to do laundry for, showers, and the pool it runs about $125.00 for three months. We have not even opened the pool yet, and it is already $150.00 for the last three months.

Do you think doing something with the toilet would even help at all? It really works fine, we just want to cut down on the water bill, and figured this was a place to start. I am a new homeowner and so new to home repair that my own mother is shocked when I attempt it. Any advise you can give would help greatly.

Thanks

Old 06-03-03, 07:09 AM
Probabbly not save to much, but you can install a water saver flapper.

Old 06-03-03, 07:13 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Will that take my 3 gpf tank and only allow 1.6 gals to go on each flush? Thanks I will have to look for that on my next trip to Home Depot.

Old 06-03-03, 11:19 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Other water-saving measures

Pools are water hogs. Consider diverting rain water run-off from your gutters to keep the pool topped-off. I did this once to re-fill my above ground a few years back.

Measure the flow rate of your existing fixtures as follows: test each of your fixtures by running them full-blast for exactly 15 seconds, then measure the amount of water that has come out of the fixture, and multiply by 4. This will give you gallons per minute from each fixture. Use a bucket and empty quart and gallon milk/juice containers to assist if needed.

Make sure that there is no water coming out of the tub spout when the shower is running. If there is, repair or replace the diverter valve.

If your showerheads produce more than 2.5 gallons per minute, install low-flow, high pressure showerheads in your showers. I like the kind that have a lever on the showerhead that allows you to control the flow of water without adjusting the temperature valve(s). This allows you to slow or stop the flow of water while soaping. Good ones run about 15 or 20 bucks at the home center. Good ones allow you to really choke down on the flow without sacrificing pressure or rinsing ability.

Discourage baths in favor of showers. At 2.5 gallons per minute, and 10 minute shower uses less water than a full bathtub. Those huge 80 gallon tubs are very big offenders.

If your bathroom sinks produce more than 1.5 gallons per minute, consider replacing offending faucets with new low-flow fixtures, or as a cheaper solution, crank down on the shut-off valves under the vanity sink until the water only trickels out of the faucet (but don't tell the family, they'll just open them back up). The second solution may produce unacceptable pressure results. The newer fixtures introduce a lot of air in the water stream, to make it seem like you are getting more water than you really are.

The kitchen sink should produce about 3 gallons per minute, any more is really a waste. When using the sprayer, make sure that water does not continue to run from the faucet. If it does, repair or replace the diverter.

Observe the folks who do the dishes in your house. Does the water run continuously while dishes are being washed? Train family members to fill a pot with hot soapy water from which to wash the rest of the dishes from while the faucet is off, and then rinse the soapy dishes all at once (or in convenient batches).

Automatic dishwashers actually can save water if used judicioulsy. Don't rinse items going into them, and run them when full. Actually, the average dishwasher uses about 13 gallons of water, whereas a kitchen sink fixture can go through that much water in less than 5 minutes.

High-quality low-flow toilets are wonderful. If you can't get your toilets to work properly now, consider replacing them. Many people like & recommend the Toto line. Check out Terry Love's website for some recommendations and ratings of various brands and models of low flow toilets.

Teach the family that the toilet is not a trach can, and should not be used to dispose of ANYTHING but human waste and soiled toilet paper. Flushing down a Kleenex with a bowlfull of clean water is a waste.

Good luck.