Tub/Shower diverter bypass

Old 06-03-03, 09:24 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub/Shower diverter bypass

I have a single handle Delta tub/shower control valve that was leaking water out of the tub spout when the shower diverter was engaged. It is the type with the button in the chrome faceplate. I replaced the diverter with a new one and if anything it is now worse. You have to find the right spot when pushing in the button to get more than 50% of the water to flow to the shower.

I have only limited front access to the valve. Is there something I could check inside the pipe where the diverter goes to see what could be preventing a seal? The old valve looked fine and the house is 30 years old but I just puchased it so I don't know how long the diverter was malfunctioning.

If I can't fix the Delta push button wall diverter can I install a universal tub spout with a diverter and just leave the wall button in the tub spout mode and control the flow with the spout diverter? I don't want to cause a leak or other problems with the Delta valve.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-03, 12:13 PM
skylane42
Visiting Guest
I currently have the same problem.. but I fixed it. Make sure the shower head itself is cleaned out... rust and debris can clog this opening forcing the back pressure to exit out the spout. If after you clean the head out and are sure of it (backflush as well) check again for operation. If the problem persist you can simply buy a new spout with the diverter and that should cure the problem. New spouts cost $10 to $40.. just buy something you like and that doesn`t seem flimsy.

Old 06-03-03, 02:38 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So back pressure could cause this? The previous owner installed one of those hand held multi position shower heads and I always set the flow to be the the needle spray. I would imagine that there is quite a lot of back pressure with this position even with a clean and otherwise unobstructed shower nozzle. I never thought that the back pressure would come out the spout.

Will a tub spout diverter have the same back pressure problem?

Old 06-03-03, 04:02 PM
skylane42
Visiting Guest
Sure, The diverter does not seal up watertight so when you have pressure it is going to travel the path of least resistance. Try an experiment.. I have one of those hand held with the hose attached to the shower spout. Take the hand held unit off the hose and set the diverter to the shower. Does the same amount still leak back through the regular tub spout? If you see a big reduction in the water not going out the tub spout then that tells you that you have too much resistance with the hand held unit and it may need cleaning or replacing. If you see no change, try a new tub spout.