basement bathroom rough-in

Old 06-03-03, 09:52 AM
dcannon7
Visiting Guest
basement bathroom rough-in

What all is required to rough-in for a basement bath in a currently unfinished portion of the basement? Additionally, what would a ballpark figure be to have the rough-in done by a professional?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-03, 10:35 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Depends, but I'll give you my recent experience (January 03).

Unfinished basement, legally-installed and properly vented toilet already in-place. Hired plumber to install drain for sink and shower, and connect both drains to the existing cast iron main line under the slab and tie into the existing vent for the toilet. I broke up the concrete and did the digging, and replaced the dirt & concrete after the inspections were completed. All the plumber had to do was install about 20 feet of new ABS piping and make the connections. Total cost time & materials, $525, two guys (Journeyman and apprentice, 2.5 hours).

My guess is that if you don't have an existing vent pipe that is separate from the existing waste stack, one will need to be installed, and tied back into stack, either in the bathroom above, or up on the attic. By code, this tie-in must be, at a minimum, 6 inches higher than the rim elevation of the highest fixture draining into this stack (usually a bathroom sink). This will more than likely involve cutting through sheetrock somewhere, and plumber don't usually fix sheetrock.