rattling pipe in bathroom faucet

Old 06-04-03, 12:15 AM
bluemagoo
Visiting Guest
rattling pipe in bathroom faucet

The pipes in the wall rattle (bang) when hot water is turned on slowly in a downstsirs bathroom sink. If it is turned on quickly to a meduim high flow everything is normal. I switched the hot and cold side cartridges of this Price-Pfister faucet and found that the banging now occurred in the cold side and not in the hot. So I then returned the cold cartridge to its original position and replaced the hot side cartridge with a new one. This solved the problem...for one day.

Now the banging has returned to the hot side again. Might this be a loose washer in the hot water supply shut off valve? If so, then what is going on with the cold side when the defective cartridge was in that position?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You might turn off the main, and inspect both of the cut-off valves to see if there is a washer problem.
Can you get to the pipes to chock them with a piece of wood where they pass through framing?
Mike

Old 06-04-03, 07:58 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Run into this problem alot with Price-Pfister faucets.Replace the belveled cup washers on the bottm of the stems.Just did one this past monday.

Old 06-04-03, 09:39 PM
bluemagoo
Visiting Guest
Plumbrich: Isn't the "beveled cup washer" on the bottom of the cartridge? The new cartridge should have taken care of that. Or is this inside the body of the faucet (that seats against the cartridge bottom)? Of course, the new stem may have gotten damaged immediatly after installation by rust or scale coming up from the shutoff valve but it seems unlikely. In any case I'll have another look. Thanks