Leak Inside the Wall

Old 06-04-03, 07:35 PM
NeedHelp
Visiting Guest
Leak Inside the Wall

Have a corner shower stall, tiled on 2 walls. A small patch of drywall right next to it (near floor) becomes wet only when the shower is used. Have tried re-grouting, re-sealing the grout and stall edges, and have replaced the faucet assembly. Have checked the pipes above the faucet valve & they're dry. Have checked the shower head (pipe) and it remains dry. I can get access to the pipes through the drywall from an adjoining closet (instead of taking out tile).
I'd really appreciate any suggestions on what I should check next.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 08:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go ahead and cut the drywall out behind the shower valve... It could be any number of leaks on the shower valve itself... It could also be leaking around the shower drain if you have an acrylic pan, or around the vinyl pan if you have a tile base... In any case, the access you cut should let you see the leak...

Old 06-04-03, 08:24 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
If you have a tile floor in shower it could be the shower pan leaking.To check for shower pan leak plug up shower drain and fill shower bottom about 2inches with water.Then put food coloring in water and mix up real good.If it is shower pan you will see the colored water at dry wall.If you do not Have tile bottom then it will probably be leaking around shower door.Water will seep Down into were screws or holding shower door frame.If you have a fiber glass shower it could be the drain alot of them have no chaulk drains.Sounds like you already check shower riser so no need to cut wall.