Which well cap?

Old 06-04-03, 08:08 PM
MrFrog
Visiting Guest
Question Which well cap?

Howdy All!

I just replaced my tired jet pump with a submersible. I am now trying to decide the best way to cap the well. The well head is in a 20 inch deep pit with the top of the well pipe about 7 inches below the top on the pit. The pit appears to be lined with a small galvanized garbage can with the bottom cut out, and uses the lid to cover the pit. I think I have three options:

1. Use the currrent expansion type plug which has a threaded hole on top, to which I can mount a junction box for the wires.

2. Get a sealed cap that has the provision for conduit, so the cap could be removed without messing with the wires if (or should I say when?) there is a problem in the future.

3. Extend the well pipe above the grade and fill in the pit, and use a vented cap (or sealed cap?).

I plan to rent a ditch witch this Saturday to run the conduit (unless the teenage son misbehaves again...manual labor is a great punishment!). Any hints or suggestions would be a great help.

Old 06-05-03, 12:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Ron Peeks is the resident wells-and-pumps expert.
Until he comes along, visit his website at www.peekspump.com and another at www.jessstryker.com for excellent tutorials on the subject.
Mike

Old 06-05-03, 06:31 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which well cap?

I'd go with your second option.
That way, if there are problems in the future you can remove the cap for inspection.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 06-09-03, 09:00 PM
MrFrog
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. We finally got enough of a break in the rainy weather here in the Northeast for me to finish this project!
Take care!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: