Inspection?

Old 06-05-03, 02:33 PM
Inspection?

Just a quick question on the importance of having the town plumbing inpector check out my rough ins for a new/updated bath if I know all is correct. I feel I give the town enough of my hard earned cash. Thanks Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-03, 03:13 PM
Whats the question?

Old 06-05-03, 05:30 PM
The question is the importance, how important is it? Is it really necessary? I don't want to give them any more money than I have to. I replaced a Hot Water Tank a few years ago and it cost $15 bucks, not to mention the waste of time taking off of work because of his very limited hours that he actually worked, and when he checked it out he spent less than 5 minutes on the tank and another 20 minutes looking around the basement and bullsh*ting with me. Is this just an excuse to get inside of residents homes and suck more money from them?

Old 06-05-03, 05:35 PM
Well legally if code says you need an inspection then yes, you need one, however, I won't tell you it's ok for you to do this work without a inspection.

If you get caught there are fines whice will exceed the cost for the permits and inspection fees.

Old 06-05-03, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Legally, yes you should... From a safety point of view, I would say not... Unfortunately, the cost of the permit fee can be far less than the cost of changes that they might require, some of which might be completely unwarranted or unexpected... If it were up to me, the inspection department would not exist... They already get enough money from me every year in keeping up my license...

Old 06-06-03, 06:51 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
The inspection is your insurance. I would not skip this important step.

I'll run a scenario by you that is a distinct, although remote, possibility.

Say you install something in your renovation that is different or new, so you modified and/or extended the existing plumbing, without the required permit and associated inspections. Say you did everything ok, and it all worked. Now, a few months down the road, the room is being decorated, and a picture hanging nail is driven through a pipe, which eventually results in thousands of dollars of water damage. (Note that nail damage to pipes does not always manifest itself immediately, usually they will make themselves known only after you come back from a weekend or week away.

You file a claim with the insurance company in order to cover the cost of the damages. The insurance company sends an adjuster out to look at the damage. The adjuster notes that there is new plumbing installed. They ask you about it, and request that you produce the permit and certificates of inspection. If you can't, the insurance company has grounds to deny your claim.

An unlikely scenario? Yes. Impossible? No. For what it costs (50 bucks around here), it is well worth it.

Old 06-06-03, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I would agree with Brewbeer, EXCEPT for the fact, that EVERYTHING should be permitted just about... Around here, you have to have a permit to build a fence around your house... In plumbing, you have to have any water line repair over 10' inspected, any drain repair over 9 joints, ANY fixture installed, any faucets installed... That includes water heaters, it includes putting in new outside faucets, kitchen sink faucets, etc., etc... I will NEVER pay to have all that inspected... It is just another tax that happens to be paid by contractors and homeowners alike, and I would rather have my license taken than to have my income ripped out of my wallet by force...

But that is just my opinion... Also, as a general rule, any insurance company would have to prove that you personally had the plumbing put in, they would also have to have reason to think the work was defective which is not the case with a nail being driven through it... Again, LEGALLY it should be done... And morally it should be done, but I won't hold it against you if you can't find it in your heart to spend your milk and bread money to pay the county's bills...

Old 06-06-03, 07:03 PM
Cool

A rule-of-thumb: IF it is major (re-plumbing, re-wiring, etc), then you should get it inspected.
You do NOT want an insurance loss without one (plumbing "flood" damage, fire, etc. ) They normally will NOT pay.
If you're selling your home, and a General Home Inspector finds a major homeowner-job violation, then you're going to have to get it done anyway, whether it's electrical, plumbing, etc.
A "for instance": an electrical panel with double-wired circuit breakers. If you have a fire because of it, the insurance company will not pay you a cent, and no GHI will pass it.
If you're eventually trying to sell your house and the GHI finds it (and any one of them worth their salt WILL), you will have to correct it anyway (re-wired panel here...about $700 bucks), or if it's a plumbing violation, the buyer's lender may require a licensed plumber to correct it to code.
If you know that you're doing it right, get it inspected and approved, or it may come back and bite you. Your call.
Mike

Old 06-07-03, 04:36 AM
Thanks guys, I agree with all of you. I know I do quality work and I do it right, so I am not worried about getting the inspection, and it is not just the money.(although that is a big part of it). It is the old rule of thumb handed down by generations. Don't let any city, county, state employee in your home whenever possible. I wish I could walk the guy in with a blindfold on, take him to the bath, electrical service, whatever it may be, let him look, and walk him back out with the blindfold. Have a good day all. Kevin