Washer Box

Old 06-06-03, 09:29 PM
gregdam
Visiting Guest
Question Washer Box

I'm in the process of moving the washing machine/dryer set up to the first floor, out of the basement. The bathroom where they are going into is completely gutted down to the studs.
I've seen this washing machine box at the local boxstore that sits inside the wall. Is this fixture worth the time installing?
Also, is 1 1/2" drain pipe from the washing machine waste large enough to handle the water coming from the washing machine?
And is it OK to put the trap in the basement, well below the washing machine box, maybe 3 1/2 feet?
On a related note, my wife picked out this pedestal sink. I've never installed one of these before. Usually I've installed sink bases, where the trap is inside the base unit. Is it OK to put the trap of a pedestal sink in the basement? Or should I just do my best to hide it inside the padestal base? Space on the pedestal base looks kind of sparce.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 09:50 PM
tiny580
Visiting Guest
the boxes that sit in the wall are nice because of the design. If one of the valves were to leak, it would go down the drain instead of the basement!

as for 1 1/2 drain that is plenty for the washer. it really does not have all that much pressure.

I also see no problem with the trap in the basement. just as long as you got one to keep those alwful gases out.

nate

Old 06-06-03, 10:11 PM
gregdam
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I can now attack Saturdays job with confidence.

Old 06-07-03, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

This illustrated article on installing a pedestal sink from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine may help you:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/200006/pedsink/main.html
Some of the newer, larger washing machines have pretty good disharge pumps. If I were plumbing a new drain line in, I think that I would go with 2". (That's just me.)
Don't forget to vent the line after the trap.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-07-03, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The stand pipe to the trap can not be more then 30" for a washer, drain for a washer is 2", and no more the 24" on any sink tailpiece to the trap.

Last edited by Plumber2000; 06-07-03 at 05:25 AM.