Adding a laundry Tub

Old 06-09-03, 06:33 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
Adding a laundry Tub

I have a new home, moved in end of Feb 2003, I got the laundry tub rough-in and I now bought a laundry tub. I have no idea what to do next. There are 2 copper pipes and a pvc from the rough-in, I am assuming these are hot-cold-and drain.

I tried to call out a few handy-men type of companies and no one is calling me back or is too busy. Can someone recommend a good general basic how-to plumbing book? A dumies for plumbing?

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 08:55 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This should be pretty easy -- all of the rough in is in place (all of the hard stuff is done!), it's just a matter of getting the parts and connecting it.

The PVC (or ABS, if it's black) is the drain. Probably has a cap or plug glued on it. You need male threads on the end of that pipe to slip the trap arm into. If you don't already have male threads there, cut the end of the pipe off (about 1-1/2" from the wall) and glue a trap adapter on it.

The copper (probably 1/2") pipes are the hot and cold. Shut the water to the house off, cut the caps off of those pipes (again, about 1-1/2" from the wall), and put a 5/8" compression angle stop on each. Now you can turn the water back on, AFTER you make sure both stops are off!

Use braided stainless supply lines to connect the hot and cold to the bottom of the faucet mounted to the laundry tub.

Use a 1-1/2" p-trap under the drain of the tub, and connect that to the trap adapter you glued onto the drain pipe coming out of the wall. You will probably need an flanged extension tube under the drain molded in the bottom of the tub, and maybe a threaded extension tube from the trap to the wall. Get a couple extra 1-1/2" slip joint nuts and washers. You'll probably need those too.

Secure the tub to the wall -- you should be done.

Old 06-09-03, 09:04 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
thanks Lefty!...however when you say

"cut the end of the pipe off (about 1-1/2" from the wall) and glue a trap adapter on it."

Do I cut with a hack saw? And will there be any welding involved or just that glue?

And how does the

"5/8" compression angle stop" get attached? more glue?

Old 06-09-03, 09:16 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No welding and no soldering involved IF you use the parts I suggested.

Cut the PVC or ABS off with a hack saw. If that pipe is white (PVC) use a PVC thread (or trap) adapter and PVC solvent and glue to attach it. If the pipe is black (ABS), use an ABS fitting and ABS glue to attach it.

Cut the copper pipes with a tubing cutter. Clean the ends with a piece of emory cloth. The 5/8" compression stops need no glue. Simply slip the nut over the end of the pipe, slide the ferrule onto the pipe, slip the stop on the pipe as far as it will go, and tighten the nut to the back of the stop. (Hold the stop with a wrench or pliers, and use another wrench to tighten the nut. Just has to be snug enough so it doesn't leak -- don't overdo it!!)

Old 06-09-03, 09:18 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
cool, thanks this helps so much!!!

I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again.