300 gal fiberglass septic tank...hints/tips?

Old 06-09-03, 12:43 PM
sledgmb
Visiting Guest
300 gal fiberglass septic tank...hints/tips?

hi all. getting ready to begin the plumbing for my small deer camp cabin out in the woods. i'm going to have 2 sinks, 1 shower, 1 toilet. that's it. i'm going to be putting in a fiberglass septic tank and currently 300 gallons is the smallest i can find around town. i'm going to keep looking - would like something about half that size, but if i have to go 300, i'll go 300.

anyway, the one i saw was rounded. i'm pretty sure this is for structural reasons, as there would be fewer weak spots on a sphere than there would be on a cube. i think i read somewhere that it is recommended to fill the septic tank with water as you're backfilling the dirt around it when you're installing the thing. is this the case?

i'm going to be day-renting a back-hoe for installation later this summer in mid-july or so. do you guys have any hints/tips for installation of this monster? i bet there may be an installation guide that comes with the tank, but i haven't purchased the thing yet and i'm trying to get an idea of what i'm up against when i begin this project.

thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-03, 07:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Your main drain pipe (as all drain pipes) should slope 1/4" per linear foot to the tank.
The tank should be buried shallow enough so that it can be pumped out easily when necessary.
What are you doing for a drainfield from the tank?
The only reason to add water weight to a fiberglass septic tank is so that it won't float out of the ground if the ground gets too wet and saturated.
Mike

Old 06-10-03, 08:16 AM
sledgmb
Visiting Guest
i'll be sure to have the correct slope for drainage and will have the tank pretty close to the surface. the tank has a manhole type opening that i'm pretty sure is supposed to be above ground. i'll just bury the sphere and have the manhole thing accessible above ground.

the tank will be on sloped ground - on the high side, so the rainwater shouldn't accumulate too much where it is. i don't think i need to worry about it floating more to the surface. but i don't need to worry about it collapsing or anything, right?

the drainfield...well, um...i don't really want to go into it here b/c i'm pretty sure i'll get slammed by alot of people on the board. this is for a deer camp in rural rural mississippi and let's just say that i will be following "local code" as far as the septic tank outflow goes.

thanks for the help.