bathtub fixtures

Old 06-10-03, 07:42 PM
Teri
Visiting Guest
bathtub fixtures

I'm a woman attempting to do some of my own remodeling (yikes!) I couldn't find any information on replacing the faucet and handle in the bathtub. The faucet leaks, and whoever installed the one I have now has the pipe too long and the faucet is not flush with the tub wall. Can anyone help me in detail how to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-03, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

To replace the faucet, you will have to have access to the pipes behind the tub through the opposite wall. It is likely soldered in if you have copper pipes.
However, to tell you how to just repair the leak (which you can do from the tub side), we need to know the brand of faucet? I assume that it's a single-handle?.
You also can do a Sewarch above on Faucets to find various how-to info.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 06-11-03, 04:49 PM
Teri
Visiting Guest
Bathtub fixtures - reply

Hi Mike,

I did do a search, all I came up with is installing a new tub. I don't know the name of the faucet that's in there and I couldn't find one written on it anywhere. It's a single "handle" but it the type that pulls out and turns side to side for hot and cold. I really would prefer to replace rather than repair it, because as I mentioned, when the faucet was installed it is about 1" away from the tub wall. Obviously the water pipe was not cut short enough. I don't know it the current pipe should be cut or if I should replace the pipe altogether. I can access the pipes through the panel on the wall. I haven't torn it apart yet because I want to find out all the information I need before I get started.

Old 06-11-03, 05:44 PM
If it's a Moen valve, which sounds like what you have, there is an extension handle kit you can buy, this will allow you the needed room, for the faucet to shut off properly.

Old 06-12-03, 05:06 PM
Teri
Visiting Guest
Unbelievable

Oh, forget it. I've gotten no help with my problem here. I've tried to explain in detail my situation and all I get are answers that don't really explain how to replace a bathtub faucet and handle or how to fix the problem of the pipe connected to the faucet that is too long. I give up. Maybe I'll check out a book from the library.

Old 06-12-03, 05:33 PM
Yea good idea. go check out the library, geez, we try to give advise, and we do this on our own free time. Were not paid here, what more do you want.

Or better yet call a Plumber

Good Luck on your quest.