Leaking Shower Head

Old 06-11-03, 03:30 PM
MacTruck
Visiting Guest
Angry Leaking Shower Head

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue. Shower head is leaking when valve is completely turned off. Friend suggested that the cartridge is bad. So, I turned off the water and disassembled the unit. The escutcheon plate shows "Kohler", so I took the cartridge to the store and could not match it up to any Kohler item.

I found a Danco picture catalog and was able to match the cartridge to "Danco Replacement Cart. for Sterling Single Handle Tub & Shower Faucets (Series 021, 022, 023, 024.)

I applied to supplied grease to the rubber rings (both two inner ones and the outer one). I hope this was right as the instructions said nothing about this but my friend said that's what it was there for.

The new cartridge mated perfectly to the back unit without any problems.

However, shower still leaks and I may be crazy but it sounds like the drip rate is faster than before my botched repair. I am thinking now that I either did something wrong or perhaps the back unit has a chip out of it that I cannot see, allowing water to pass through perhaps?

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of Kohler using Sterling parts or are they the same company? Or do I have an issue of a house builder claiming to use Kohler fixtures but using non-Kohler items 'behind the scenes'.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-03, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try calling Kohler, bet they will send you the part.

KOHLER Answer Center at 1-800-456-4537

Old 07-15-03, 03:56 PM
MacTruck
Visiting Guest
OK, called Kohler and they sent me the rubber seals for the pressure balancer, the whole works. Still leaks. Is there anyway a bad pressure balancer could be causing this?

Old 07-15-03, 07:29 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Mack truck if you could give me a model # I will look it up.I just cant think of one at this time that kohler and sterling did that was the same.If it is the standred kohler i'am thinking of it has seats and springs in it also.

Old 07-16-03, 04:59 PM
MacTruck
Visiting Guest
The Danco book I used referenced Sterling. Kohler rep told me that they apparently had some relationship at one time, if not currently. To answer your question, I'm looking at the parts list Kohler also sent me. It's a Coralais Shower Faucet. There's an entire assmbly #500520, or you can get the pressure balancer (#73717), Adapter (#71922), Cap (#71969) along with the washers and orings (52480, 42043, 75400, 71940, 33993. The body it all fits in is 71916. Thanks for the reply.