Compression Fitting Headaches

Old 06-14-03, 03:10 PM
Tao
Compression Fitting Headaches

I'm going from copper to CPVC and I have a Pipe to Male fitting. The end over the copper is compression and it is giving me fits. I can't get it to stop dripping. Is there a secret to those fittings? I used tephlon tape. Is it possible I over-tightened it? Can they be over-tightened?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-03, 06:16 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
Yes a little trick is to put a little teflon paste on the inside of the ferrel(the little brass ring) then slip the fitting over and tighten just enough.

Old 06-14-03, 06:22 PM
EdG,

Thank you for the info. I was monitoring this question since I had the same one. I was curious as to what I was doing wrong. Thought I was going to have to call a plumber afterall.

Kay

Old 06-14-03, 07:37 PM
Cool

Ed nailed it.
You use tape or pipe dope on the brass ring ferrule of a compression fitting, not the threads.
Mike

Old 06-14-03, 08:31 PM
I was putting it on the outside of the ring, but not on the inside. It had a slow leak. I was planning to replace the pipe since I thought it was out of round and causing the leak.

Kay

Old 06-15-03, 05:15 AM
Cool

Kay,
Usually, you can use the old nut and ferrule onto a new compression fitting.
However, if the pipe is out of round, and you can't get it to stop dripping, and you have room, cut it off, clean it up and install a new nut and ferrule.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-15-03, 10:11 AM
What has happened is the tee off the hot line under the kitchen sink is a mess. We discovered this when the dishwasher started leaking. It seems that they couldn't get a compression fitting to work there either so they have tubing with clamps from the extensions off the tee all the way down to the fitting in the dishwasher. The hose clamp at the dishwasher fitting kept blowing off.

The pipe is in such bad shape that I'm trying to remove the tee now and get back to the original pipe. I've purchased a dual outlet shut off so I can hook the dishwasher and sink to it. Now, I'm having problem with shutoffs in the line. The one under the sink doesn't work, the hot water heater shutoff doesn't completely work. I guess its time to shut off at the street. I just can't get the joints hot enough.

Kay

Old 06-15-03, 01:17 PM
Cool

If you're trying to sweat apart joints, you have to completely shut off the water somewhere and drain the lines.
Turn off the breaker or gas to your water heater first.
Turn off the water at the meter if necessary, and open your lowest faucet for draining (outside spigot?) and highest and farthest faucets for air to allow the lines to drain.
You might try getting a dw hookup supply line. That shouldn't leak coming off of a new faucet and connecting to the dw.
Good Luck!
Mike