bathroom smelling a bit ripe ...

Old 06-14-03, 03:32 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom smelling a bit ripe ...

My ensuite bathroom began to smell a bit ripe (it's what I imagine sewer gas to smell like). Since the toilet was pretty much ruined (it got damaged at some point and I just can't fight the scale any more), I decided to replace it with a new one, which I did. [Incidentally, the new one is a Kohler 1.6gpf toilet, which works fantastic.]

So ... turns out the smell was not from a leaky wax seal. I.e. all is now well, and the smell is still there. I am now suspecting the tub, which is one of those fancy whirlpool thingies that got popular 15 years ago. I don't know what these babies look like under the hood, so I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows if there are weaknesses in the drain/trap system that might cause it to let go after some years with the motor running constantly.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-03, 06:21 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
Sniff around a bit and see if it stronger in certain areas. It could be that the tub trap is not full of water or leaking, it could be a broken vent line in the wall( very rare) it could even be the sink tail piece. The drain of the sink before it hits the trap could be full of soap/makeup and smelling. Could be hair and debris in the tub drain. What I mean to say is it could be a lot of things. First make sure it is not hair/soap/makeup in the tailpieces.

Old 06-14-03, 06:50 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
baking soda and vinegar down each drain and allow to sit for 30 minutes then rinse away. however, if your traps are not working properly due to poor venting then you'll get that odor all the time. be sure that the vents are properly installed near each drain according to code. the traps should hold water in them and this is what keeps the sewer gas from coming back into the drains. the baking soda/vinegar should clean them up. if the smell persists, look for leaks under each facility.

Old 06-14-03, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Ed and Maadi are right on.
The other possibility is a partially clogged vent pipe on your roof.
Check for birdnest, leaves, debris, etc. in the vent pipe.
If there is any there, clear it by hand, and then flush the vent pipe with a water hose sprayer.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 06-15-03, 05:40 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: