water temp fluctuates

Old 06-14-03, 05:01 PM
efabio66
Visiting Guest
Question water temp fluctuates

Every time water is used (i.e. clothes washer, kitchen faucet) whoever is in the shower gets a good dose of freezing cold or steaming hot water depending on what appliance is being used. Is this due to valve problems in the shower? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-03, 06:18 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
this is often caused by a faulty pressure regulator, I would check the pressure with a gauge you can pick up a t Home depot. If it is over 80 psi you should install/change a pressure regulator

Old 06-14-03, 08:36 PM
efabio66
Visiting Guest
thank you for the reply. This condition started when I installed a new shower unit using a Moen faucet (single knob). Is the pressure regulator you are speaking of the same as a diverter which ties the supplies line together behind the unit?

Old 06-15-03, 06:58 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
the newer shower controls are mostly all "water-saver" types....something to do with government regulations. you may not be getting the amount of water flow at the shower like you used to because it's restricted. therefore, another area using water will have the best flow. not sure if i was clear on that...i just woke up..lol
so, in other words, your shower is only allowing ie 1.5 gallons per minute, and your washer (or something else) is at full flow. who wins that tug of war?
now....how to correct? if, as was suggested by Ed, your pressure regulator is good, maybe running 3/4" supply lines to the bathroom would help....not sure. maybe one of the forum plumbers can correct me...................................???