union leak - will packing help?

Old 06-16-03, 06:22 AM
garbid
Visiting Guest
union leak - will packing help?

I've installed many pipe unions without problems, but one I installed yesterday on 1" copper supply pipe leaks very slowly between from the gap in top of the nut and the pipe (around the pipe - not from the threads). It's tightened as far as it will go. Assuming that the union is lined up properly, would it do any good to back off the nut, wrap graphite-imbedded packing string (or other packing material) around the pipe, and re-tighten? I've read the previous comments about faulty unions, etc., but since this is a very difficult installation, replacing the union is the last option. Looking forward to the always-excellent advice of you pros out there!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 09:59 AM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Never been real crazy about useing comp unions on copper.That being said it sounds like the water is coming under the ferrul causing h20 to leak behind nut.Taking some teflon rolling it between your fingers will create a string of teflon.I would put this teflon in front of the ferrul this should solve problem.I see most of this kind of leak from soft copper wth a small dent close to ferrul causing comp.ring not to seal completly off.

Old 06-16-03, 10:49 AM
garbid
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Plumbrich. However, the union is sweated, not compression, so ferrule is not an issue. I've heard conflicting advice from local plumbers on whether or not to put a layer of pipe dope on the face of the union to help suppress a lead caused by nicks in the union seat. Any observation on this? Thanks,
Garbid

Old 06-16-03, 12:55 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
for what it is worth, I always put a layer of pipe dope on the face of the union and this always seem to take care of the problem. Also make sure the union is not cracked, i've seen this before on a few occasions.

Old 06-16-03, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could try cutting a gasket out of rubber and fitting it between the 2 faces.

Just a thought....