Help! We can't flush

Old 06-16-03, 09:22 AM
bcherrington
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! We can't flush

Ok, here we go.. We just bought a new house. New to us, but actually quite an old house. All was fine until I started doing laundry, when the washer drained it backed up into the tub. (Not that big of deal. it drained and was fine). As a precaution we went ahead and used some liquid plumr foaming pipe snake. Seemed to work for awhile.. Then we noticed as it rained and the ground was wet, that the toilet wouldn't flush all the time.. It would just come up and out and you guessed it right into our floor. Well , it's been rather nice here the last few days, but I cannot flush the toilet without it overflowing into the floor.. (my arms are killing me from all the useless plunging).. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.. Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's a very good chance you have roots growing in your main drain, or just something clogged in it. Best bet is if you've got the physical ability, rent a drain auger, pull the toilet if you don't have a cleanout and run it through the line until it gets to the street.

Old 06-16-03, 11:15 AM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
If it shows up worse when it is wet then you may be on a septic system.1st thing i would do is see if you are on septic or city sewer.Most septic and main line problems show up during wash day.Thats when he most h20 is being dumped into the system.Also on rainny days problems arise becouse we are stuck in doors and useing more water.If you are on city sewer i would have main line cleaned.If you are on septic i would have it checked.You can have main from septic to house clean while lid is off.

Old 06-17-03, 08:28 AM
bcherrington
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thank you guys for the advice, of course my husband kind of combined the two replies.. He spent two hours digging up the septic tank, and has gone today to get a drain auger..lol.. I'm hoping we'll be back up and flushing in no time. thanks a bundle..

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it