Pipe dope comparisons

Old 06-16-03, 01:56 PM
garbid
Visiting Guest
Pipe dope comparisons

This is one for the old-timers as well as the new guys: what type of pipe dope is best for various uses? I've always had great result with RectorSeal on metal fittings but it IS messy. I've also used the Teflon products with success. Can anyone put me straight on which one is generally acknowledged to be the best for (a) non-ferrous fittings (copper, brass, bronze); (b) ferrous fittings; and, finally (c) PVC fittings? For example, I've seen some professional plumbers use teflon dope AND teflon tape on some metal fittings, while others use tape only for plastic fittings and dope-only for metal. Not a matter of life and death but any reasonsed responses appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rectorseal is what I use. Use the non-teflon type on any gas work. Teflon based on all metal to metal water line work.
Plastic is usually teflon tape with me.

As to the messy part, thats what rags are for.

Old 06-16-03, 05:28 PM
Ed G
Visiting Guest
I use slic-tite for most things, rectorseal for gas and very rarely do I use tape.

Old 06-17-03, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rectorseal is the best pipe dope ever made for metal connections... Unfortunately, they found out after PVC and ABS became popular that Rectorseal pipe dope eats it up... So now I only use Teflon based pipe dopes for all purposes... The brand I use is Select Unyte because it supposedly eliminates the need for dielectric unions on transitions by eliminating corroding influences at the transitions... I never use Teflon tape... If for no other reason than that it is slow and annoying to use when you have dozens of joints to wrap... As for guys that use it on plastic to plastic threaded connections, that is fine, but I NEVER make a connection with a female plastic thread (except cleanout plugs, of course) since they tend to crack and so I don't have a need for tape then either...

Old 06-17-03, 04:21 PM
My use is, always use Teflon tape on plastic male threads, and I never use pipe dope on plactic male threads, I find that pipe dope will make a plastic male thread to slick, causing it it sink to deep into a fitting.

Old 06-18-03, 01:15 PM
Pipe dope

Be real careful if you elect to use pipe dope on plastic fittings, you might find that the manufacturers do not recommend it because some properties of some pipe dopes break down the plastic fittings and they crack!