low water press. on the second floor

Old 06-17-03, 06:19 PM
gwchip
Visiting Guest

My home is now about 1.5 yrs old. My water is supplied by a well. My pump is buried, my tank is in the basement. The diameter of the pipe through the basement wall is 1 inch , leaving the holding tank is 1 inch, then it goes to the softener it remains 1inch until it divides to go to the water heaters , then it is 3/4.the 3/4 travels to each room using water,then splits to 1/2 at each utility , faucet, or toilet. The pressure gage shows the pump kicking on at 44psi, and off at 64 psi. There is a noticeable difference between the first and second floor water pressure. Enough that my daughter prefers to shower on the first floor. Is there any type of a boost pump,that can be installed ? The plumber says the pump should not be above 60 psi,or the faucets and valves will fail early. Any thoughts?

Old 06-18-03, 07:31 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Anytime water flows through piping, you'll lose some pressure due to friction.
In the case of copper pipe, using a flow rate of 4 gpm, you'll lose about 7 psi per every 100' of 1/2" copper, about 2 psi for every 100' of 3/4" copper and 1 psi for every 100' of 1" copper. Then for every valve, coupling, and elbow in the pipe run is like adding 2-3 feet of pipe for every fitting used. Doesn't sound like much, until you add all these small losses up. Add to that the fact that it takes 1 psi to lift water 2.31 feet, and the elevation of the 2nd floor becomes a big factor. If it's a 20' elevation rise from well to 2nd floor shower, that's a pressure loss of nearly 9 psi right there.
Then, any type of water treatment equipment or filtration will have a pressure loss across it.
While none of the individual losses are huge (except elevation) added all together they become a factor that has to be dealt with. This is especially true with multi-level homes, as the piping will generally need to be of much longer runs and usually many more turns, etc.
See if you can get a pressure reading at some of the fixtures both down and upstairs. You may find out that the pressure is less than the 64 psi you're seeing at the pump. Submersible pumps can usually pump greater pressures than jet type pumps, so you may be able to boost pressure at the well head.
Hope this helps.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 06-18-03, 03:37 PM
gwchip
Visiting Guest
Low water press.

Thanks for the reply ,Pumpman. I am aware of the drop in press over distance and hight. Learned about that when I built a pond and water fall. I new that I would have more water than I would know what to do with,when I installed that 1200 gallons per hour pump. Wow not much more than a garden hose .Found out it lost a lot of flow because of the rise to the top of the water fall. Any way, back to the house water pressure.The gage I'm reading is about three feet iside the house,next to the pump press.solenoid(I guess thats what it is called).I would like to check the pressure on the outlet side of the softener. I am sure it looses some there. I guess there isn't any type boost pump for the seond floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: