Water leaking at trickle pipe to drain

Old 06-19-03, 01:45 PM
ex-sailor 97
Visiting Guest
Water leaking at trickle pipe to drain

My home is 9 years old and has a laundry closet on the 2nd floor level. There is a drain in the floor of this closet, and attached to the cold water valve (prior to the washer) there is a T- fitting of some sort that allows some water to trickle into the drain. I'm told this is to keep the drain from drying out. This fitting has a large hex type nut at the top and and oval hole part way down on the fitting. My problem is water spits out this hole when the washer fills and makes a small puddle on the floor. I was told to remove the hex nut and place a penny inside, then replace the hex nut again. Can anyone tell me, what is this annoying device and how do I fix it properly? Thanks

Last edited by ex-sailor 97; 06-19-03 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is used to keep the trap full of water to prevent the trap from drying out, and allowing sewer gases into your house, just tighten up the hex hut, that should stop the leak.

Old 06-22-03, 01:18 PM
ex-sailor 97
Visiting Guest
Thanks Plumber2000! I tried your suggestion of tightening the nut but it was as tight as it's going to get, so I still have water spitting out of the hole in the thing-a-ma-jiggy. (Obviously I don't know the name for this thing!) Can I remove the nut, drop in a penny and then tighten the nut; as I have been told by a "friend"? Also, I suspect it might be a good idea to turn of the water before I remove this nut??

Old 06-22-03, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure what your looking at, a digital picture would be nice if you have a camera.

Old 06-22-03, 05:26 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
It is called a trap primer.If the water spits out then the line from the trap primer to the p-trap is stopped up.Also could be the small pin hole orfice is stopped up.Hard to say exactly there are 4 different types that i know of.They all work diffently.

Old 06-24-03, 08:25 PM
ex-sailor 97
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, I will remove the clothes washer so I can get at the darn thing and have a go at fixing it. I also may visit my local wholesale plumbers warehouse, those parts guys are pretty darn helpful most of the time. I'll let you know how it turns out. Cheers.