Pump Question

Old 06-20-03, 05:49 AM
ackcpa
Visiting Guest
Pump Question

I have an older model Gould's Pump, with an attached bladder. The bladder was added a couple of years ago in order to regulate the pressure of the water. Recently, however the pump does not want to shut off and runs constantly. I can manually override the pump by shuting it off, however I am attempting to fix the pump. I have checked various facets throughout the house and all are closed. Additionally, I have ensured that the pump is still primed, as the pressure is normal. I guess that I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have any idea what could possible be causing the pump to remain running without shutting off?

2) If I let the air out of the bladder, will that solve my problem or will it lead to another issue, in that I will ruin the bladder?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 06:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Check the air pressure in the bladder tank with a tire gauge.
It should be two psi below your pump cut-on pressure. Air it up if necessary with a bicycle pump or compressor.
If water comes out of the bladder tank air valve, you need to replace the tank.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-20-03, 06:42 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump Question

Is the pump reaching cutout pressure? In other words, if the switch is set to cutout the pump at 50 psi, is the pump reaching 50 and not shutting down? If so, there could be a problem with the small line (or a fitting) to the switch. Check to see if it might be plugged up. The switch itself could need to be adjusted, and take a look at the contacts inside the switch and see if they're "welded" together. This can happen if the contacts get dirty and pitted.
If the pump isn't reaching cutout pressure, there could be several reasons for this.
One, there is a leak on the suction side of the pump, allowing the pump to suck in air;
Or two, the venturi/nozzle assembly is plugged up;
(Take a look here for an exploded view of a jet pump to see the nozzle/venturi assembly:
http://www.peekspump.com/explodesw.html )
or three, the water level has dropped and the pump is "starving" for water.
Other than that, follow OldGuy's instructions on setting the pressure tank precharge.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com