Alternative to Copper

Old 06-20-03, 10:22 PM
marcdm
Visiting Guest
Question Alternative to Copper

My wife and I just bought our first home. Iíve been replacing some the insulation in the garage ceiling and I noticed a couple of heating pipes were leaking. (The pipes are 3/4 inch copper.)

The problem is that they are located above the foundation wall between the last floor joist and the outside wall, and it is almost impossible for me to get a torch in that space. Initially I was thinking about replacing the leaky joint, but I was wondering, and this is my question, if there is a good plastic/rubber composite pipe on the market that I could use in place of copper in these hard to reach areas. Iím looking for something that is both flexible and tough and can be easily attached to the existing copper. Does anyone know of any good products on the market that may fit my application? If so I would love to know all about it. ThanksóMarc

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-03, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could use 3/4" radiant tube but you will find the cost prohibitive. It only comes in large rolls and while you may find a source for short pieces, the fittings required are expensive. You would be much better off to replace the bad pieces with copper and don't let them come into contact with the concrete. That can shorten the life of copper tube considerably.