water heater


Old 06-24-03, 02:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Angry water heater

can i have some advice on how to replace a heating element in a water tank
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-03, 04:21 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You can do a Search above for information on changing an electric water heater element, but:
A. Turn OFF the water heater breaker at the panel (should be a 30 amp double-pole breaker). Test the thermostat wires with a voltage meter before touching any wires (for safety).
B. Turn OFF the cold water supply to the water heater.
C. Attach a water hose to the drain spigot at the bottom of the heater.
D. Open the drain spigot and the highest and farthest hot water tap and the T&P valve on the heater for air to drain the tank.
E. Remove and replace the element(s) with the exact same size and kind. I always replace both elements, if I have to replace one, but that's up to you. Usually the bottom element will go first, as it does most of the heating.
F. Close the drain spigot and T&P valve and refill the tank and hot water lines until you have a steady stream of water coming out of that highest and farthest tap.
Do NOT turn on the power until you are positive that all air is out of the heater tank, or you could fry an element.
Good Luck!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: