separating joints


Old 06-24-03, 05:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Angry separating joints

Thanks in advance to all that can help or advise.

2 times so far this month my main line coming off of my hot water heater has separated at the joint under the house, dumping hundreds of gallons under there. All I have done to fix it, is to get under there and slide them back together. They seem to be fitting tightly. But it is the same joint each time.

It is gray pipe 1-2" to 3/4", I haven't measured it yet. It has just a plastic union, straight piece w/ barbed ends, and what looks like copper rings on the outside. I guess it is similar to a ferrel fitting.

What should I do? I only have a run of about 30 or so feet for cold and hot lines of this gray stuff. This was a patch job into old metal lines when the new hot water heater was installed before we bought the house. Someone said the hot water heater was building too much pressure. What is that about?

From what I can gather it may be PEX? I tried to do a search on this forum about this, but PEX is too short to search for. Lucky me, pun intended, I see Vanguard made a lot of this pipe. They had a plant right here where I live. They are no longer there though.

Also, my descriptions are probably not in your terminology, but I work in automotive electrical, and I just want to get this resolved.

The ONLY luck I have had so far is that my water company is going to adjust the bill for the hundreds of gallons of water that was spilled.

I know this is long, but I am on too many forums and have to ask too many questions to get to the actual subject. I'll give you the info I can think of right now, because I JUST got out from under the house again and am dripping wet.

Last edited by unlucky; 06-24-03 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-03, 08:52 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You need a plumber with the proper connections and crimping tool to repair that permanently.
PEX is an acronym for cross-linked polyethylene pipe. Check it out here:
Good Luck!
Old 06-24-03, 12:44 PM
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the pipe is accesible you could just remove the PEX, then replace it with CPVC (from the heater to the old galvanized pipe. You won't have those problems again.
Old 06-24-03, 04:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
There isn't any galvanized pipe under there. I've got what looks like copper though.

This house was built in the late 40's- early 50's.

So I need a plumber, or the crimping tool? I have access to the tool.
Old 06-24-03, 05:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
If you have access to the crimp tool then all you need is a ring and re-crimp.Sounds like it was never crimped correctly to start with.
Old 06-25-03, 05:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Cool, that's what I'll try first.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: