crackpipe (of the cast iron type)

Old 06-24-03, 09:47 AM
azsteve-o
Visiting Guest
Angry crackpipe (of the cast iron type)

In transitioning from the old cast iron sewer pipes to ABS in our bathroom remodel, I cam across a problem. As I was cutting the 3" line from the toilet, the pipe started to break apart. I kept going further and further back to a point where the pipe seemed more solid. The problem is, I had to tunnel underneath the concrete foundation about 3 feet into another room below the floor. Cutting a pipe in a 3 foot long underground tunnel is nearly impossible, but I did manage to get it done. The pipe feels solid and is not crumbling, but there is a hairline crack along the top of the pipe that continues beyond where I have stopped digging. I made the transition to the ABS at this point with the neoprene sleeve and there has been no leaking. There is no way I can tunnel back any further. I would have to cut another section of concrete out in order to access the pipe and replace it completely. I realize ideally that it should be replaced, but is there any harm in waiting to replace the pipe until later. I would like to complete the bathroom remodel before I start cutting the concrete in antother room.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-03, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

There is no real pressure on drain pipe, so you can wait.
You might even just run a bead of caulk along it if it starts leaking somehow.