Sink to Toilet Drain Cleaning

Old 06-24-03, 08:13 PM
stevgold
Visiting Guest
Sink to Toilet Drain Cleaning

On the second floor of my home There is an in-line drain route of tub to sink one to sink two to toilet and down to the basement. Every 2-3 months when I run water in sink two it backs up into the tub. The toilet seems fine. I have used commercial drain cleaner liquids successfully and the problem goes away. I would like to correct this problem permanently but am baffled as to where you would insert a drain auger.

I was told never to use an auger in a tub and never in a toilet. Is that true? If I insert an auger into sink two trap how do I ensure it turns to the right toward the toilet main drain pipe? Am I on the right track here? I also plan to replace that toilet very soon. Should I wait and how would the toilet being off help?

Please help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-03, 08:24 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Sink an tub drain connected on same pipe then ties into main.This is very common. Drain is stopped up before it ties into main after tub.The tub being the lowest point of that system that is were it backs up.This also lets you know it is close to the tub.Take the overflow face plate cover off of tub and insert auger there.It should be the cover right below the tub spout it will probably have two screws in it or one on the middle.As long as toilet is flushing and not coming up in tub then you do not need to do anything to toilet.

Old 06-25-03, 08:08 PM
stevgold
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick answer.