prime pump

Old 06-26-03, 04:57 AM
h20frontproperty
Visiting Guest
prime pump

I am having a heck of a time priming a pump I recently purchased for irrigation, it is a 1/2 HP shallow well pump connected to 1.25" flexible pipe with footvalve, the elevation is no more than 5-6' and the distance is about 170'. According to the specs it should be more than enough pump for the application. All I can assume is that I have air in the line because the length is not all uphill - some dips and humps, about 90' of the pipe is also buried making it impossible to change the elevation to prime, I have successfully pumped water from both directions through the line (by connecting to my house water supply through a garden hose) but when I try to suck water I can't seem to get it - are there any tips and tricks of the trade I can use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-03, 06:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Do you have a check valve near the pump on the suction side?
If not, install one to hold prime, and try it again.
You can do a Search above on how to prime a pump, or just come back on this same thread and ask. We'll be glad to help you.

Old 06-26-03, 07:10 PM
h20frontproperty
Visiting Guest
still air in the line

I didn't have a check valve but do now, I purchased and installed a check valve on the input line about 1' from the pump, I tried everything I could think of to get a prime and gave up again once it was dark, I am starting to think I may require a larger or different pump? but thought, and was told, that this 1/2 HP pump shallow well pump would be fine to run a couple of sprinklers, I have concluded that I still have air in the line and the fact that the grade is somewhat flat is part of the issue - the challenge is that much of the line is buried and I can't do much about the grade at this point,

Old 06-26-03, 11:01 PM
Cool

Try fillling the line again with the water hose, and quickly re-attach the check valve.
To prime the pump:
A. Power off.
B. Wrap 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape around the 3/4" plug of the pumphead.
C. Pour in water until pumphead is full, turn on the pump and quickly hand-tighten the plug (air and water will bubble out).
D. Snug the plug down with a wrench.
Repeat all of the above until the pump picks up prime.
Good Luck!

Old 06-27-03, 04:25 AM
h20frontproperty
Visiting Guest
I have filled the line with water from both ends and can get water flowing freely in both directions - I think becuse the line is 1.25" that the water is flowing past the air pockets where the slope is flat or dips - if I had a larger pump (same design more HP) would it be able to overcome the air? I have read about self priming pumps - is this something I should consider? I have also heard that it is not unusual to spend many hours priming a pump - If this is the case I wouldn't want to go through this every year and would consider more money for a better pump?

Thanks again for any info,

Old 06-27-03, 06:33 AM
Cool

Ron (Pumpman) Peeks is the resident wells-and-pumps expert, and until he comes along, you can visit his site at www.peekspump.com and another excellent site at www.jessstryker.com .
Good Luck!

Old 06-29-03, 01:35 PM
h20frontproperty
Visiting Guest
I purchased a more powerful pump and had it working in no time, I guess the other just couldn't get past the air - it has been working for a few days pumping water like crazy - works better than I could have hoped - I can rum 4 sprinklers at a time and maintain 40 psi for hours,

Thanks again for the help,