Oakley Products

Old 06-28-03, 12:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oakley Products

Hi guys;
This may sound like a inept question, but I am going to be doing some supply line soldering and made a trip to the Orange Box to obtain some solder flux. While there I noticed that there are two kinds of Oakley Flux carried there.
One is the #95 Tinning Flux and the other is the #5 Solder Paste. What is the difference? Will the tinning flux suffice for the soldering paste in a water line soldering? Or is the tinning flux only for the trick of making a copper line look like chrome and not advisable for a line solder.
Also can anyone please help me differentiate all of the different glues for PVC? ( Blue, clear,primer, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe that Oakey tinning flux is used with silver solder for HVAC copper lines, copper gutters, etc. when using an acetylene torch, and solder flux is used with copper pipe when using a propane torch for normal plumbing soldering.
As long as any solder is lead-free, you can use it on water lines based on the type of torch you're using.
PVC primer is used to clean and prime PVC pipe and fittings before using PVC glue to make a better chemical-weld bond. It should tell you on the label fine print what each is used for. I can't remember off hand.
Maybe one of the pro plumbers here can tell you (I'm not one).
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-29-03, 06:36 AM
Tinning flux is used on old hard red copper lines as they usually need to be tinned before they can be soldered. It is possible to solder these without tinning, but it is much, much easier when they are tinned.
Soldering paste is just that, soldering paste. A water insoluble paste used for soldering.
Look at the labels of the PVC glue, you noticed different level of bolding. I think blue is medium strength. Clear, high strength. Primer is always a different color so inspectors can see joints were primed before bonding with glue.

Hope this helps, more questions, ask away and someone will answer you.

Old 06-29-03, 12:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Thanks, notuboo. I wasn't sure about any of that stuff.