Bathroom Faucet Part Identification

Old 06-28-03, 12:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bathroom Faucet Part Identification

Hi folks;

I hope that there is a answer out there to help me out of this predicament.
My Mother-in-law had purchased a co-op apt about one year ago. After purchace, when I went there, I found that the bathroom sink hot water would constantly keep running. The faucet valve even screwed in all the way wouldn't stop it ( wall valve works fine)and the cold water works fine. No problem says I!! I pull the stem and go to the Orange Box and obtain a new one ( or so it seems!)and put it in. All is right with the world for a few days and presto,it starts again!
I have switched stems (hot to cold) and it still runs, but cold will shut off with the switched stem. I do not know the manufacturer but the stems are the real short squat ones ( about 2-21/2 inches in height) with the flat washer at the bottom which has no retaining screw in the center. I have looked into the valve(s) (hot and cold) with the stems out and cannot discern any threads for a seat or even see a apparent seat. Is there a removable seat in these types of valves?
The faucet assembly is one of those that is mounted on the interior of the basin wall and has the control valves appox 4 inches(either side) from the spigot which is in line with the valves. Is there any way to identify the manufacturer of the faucet assembly?
I am afraid that relying on the previous owners as a guide for replacements is not a viable option. ( Long story on other facets of their replacement/repairs!!!!)
Any ideas? Short of replacing the whole assembly!!! LOL!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 04:23 PM
Are the stems brass or plastic?

Old 06-28-03, 06:30 PM
B
Hi;
As Homer Simpson would say "DOH!!!" LOL!!! Forgot to mention that the whole stem is of brass.

Old 06-28-03, 06:39 PM
Well,

Since you can't see a seat, then maybe time for a new faucet.

Old 06-29-03, 06:46 AM
There is a seat in there. It's just covered with calcium deposits. Jab at it gentlly with a small screw driver and see if you can come up with a square or hex opening that the seat removal tool will fit.
Once you have determined what type of seat you are looking at, remove it. It may break up and require an easy out to remove the threaded part, but it will come out given enough attention. Replace with new, identical seat with a matching hot water stem, and you are good to go.

If you want to do this quicker, just spend under $50 at any big box store for a new lav faucet. You need to decide how much frustration costs and the ease of a new installation.

Good luck and let us know how it came out...

Old 06-29-03, 07:26 AM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have a crane or american standred faucet.If it is the ones that or inside the basin replacing my not be an option.You say there is not a screw on the end holding a washer? if this is the case you have a american standred faucet.It does have a seat.If you cannot remove i would go to plumbing supply store.(or big orange)Ask for a seat grinder kit they are around 7.00 it comes with intructions.Also get american standred washers they just pop on and off.The seat grinder will allow you so smooth out seat without having to remove it.