remodel nightmare

Old 06-28-03, 03:03 PM
houtown
Visiting Guest
remodel nightmare

We currently put a bid on a house that needed a huge amount of cosmetic work. After inspection we found that we had galvanized pipes that were original from 1978. I found some rust spots and previous leaks that had sealed up in the attic. Should all these pipes be replaced? Should I replace all the pipes in the house? I have heard of a chemical that is new on the market that can be flushed through your pipes that seals some of the weaker spots within your pipes. Is this true? thx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Someone installed galvanized pipes in 1978? Shame on them. Galvanized is notorious for scaling upside over time restricting water pressure, until they eventually clog up completely.
You will eventually need to replace them.
Although there are new things coming out all of the time, I haven't heard of a safe and effective way to seal water supply lines from inside.
Good Luck!

Old 07-02-03, 09:50 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would replace them as you go. Don't finish any interior surfaces in any room until the piping in that room had been fixed. There's nothing worse than a leak onto your newly finished and painted wall or ceiling.

One question though??? Pipes in the ATTIC? Are these your heating system pipes that you're talking about? That would make more sense with regard to the former owner using galvanized piping late into the 70's, but my above advice still stands.

If they are the pipes that provide you with drinking water, REPLACE THEM ALL NOW and save yourself the health hazards.