Mom ain't no plumber

Old 06-28-03, 03:31 PM
plumdumb
Visiting Guest
Mom ain't no plumber

I do much better over the sink than under it...I would like to see a diagram of the proper way to plumb a sink that has a disposal as well as a dishwasher. It is a double sink, currently the dishwasher empties into the disposal and it has 2 p-traps. It is functional the way it is plumbed but the pipes seem to be a hair off. I am having to replace a tailpipe off of one of the sinks and would like to replumb the whole thing the right way if it is incorrect. My mess doesn't look like anything I have seen at Home depot or Lowes on there package diagrams. Thanks in advance.
Plumdumb

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

http://www.familyhandyman.com/200003...ory/page2.html
Here's an illustrated article on kitchen sink plumbing that should help you.
You do not need two traps, only one under the plain tailpiece, and the disposal is connected to that.
Good Luck!

Old 06-28-03, 09:06 PM
plumdumb
Visiting Guest
Hey OldGuy Mike,

Thanks you are the best! Got that part all repaired like a pro.
Now I sprouted a new leak in the stainless to copper drain pipe that goes outside. Of course it is sodered, flanged with a nut, so I cant even get a compression piece with the hose clamps over the nut to fix it.
Going shopping to see what I might be able to manage. I think its too long of a leak (not just a pin hole) to use rubber and regular hose clamp.
Well if I ever get this one figured out I have a pool light that needs some attention.
Thanks again...Plumdumb

Old 06-29-03, 05:32 AM
Cool

Stainless steel to copper drain pipe? Are you sure about that?
It may be chromed brass to copper.
What and where exactly is it leaking?
Mike

Old 06-29-03, 09:38 AM
plumdumb
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry I should have said its shiny stuff attached to copper or brass colored stuff.
It has a leak on the bottem side of the shiny pipe. Its worn through. I am guessing about an inch long I'm sure it should be replaced...but I don't do hacksawing and sodering or welding kind of stuff. I am however great with a piece of rubber and a hose clamp. Have made several of those repairs even under the house, that have lasted many years. A 1 1/2 " compression fitting (the kind with heavy rubber that has a hose clamp on each end) would do the trick if I could get it over the flanged part of the pipe. It's on the main drain pipe that goes to the outside wall of the house and is a permanent fixture so is scary to me. I'm not much of a block mason either. lol I might pick one of the compression fittings up and slice the rubber so I can fit it around the pipe. (hope it won't leak between the hose clamps) How good is that JB Weld kind of stuff? (never used it)
I might have to resort to a 12 pack of beer and (adopt an OldGuy)
or just call a plumber on this one.
I am thankful for people like you giving your time and help to people like me. If you ever need a good recipe or Mom advice let me know.
Plumdumb

Old 06-29-03, 11:59 AM
Cool

If you have enough pipe left to put on a Fernco coupling (which is what you're describing), you should be able to just hacksaw that nut off and clamp the Fernco to the pipe.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-29-03, 01:34 PM
plumdumb
Visiting Guest
Great idea! I am like I said, a little afraid of the hacksaw thing but will give it a shot. Guess I can't mess it up it's already broke. lol

Thanks, Plumdumb

Old 06-29-03, 03:39 PM
plumdumb
Visiting Guest
Wooohooo
It works!!! Yep Fernco says it right on the package. (good stuff)
I still haven't mastered the hacksaw but did make the cut and it worked. Now I can get back on top of the sink where I belong.
Thanks again OldGuy couldn't have done it with out you.
Plumdumb

Now to find the pool section...