Well water pump problems

Old 06-29-03, 11:19 PM
blueboracho2
Visiting Guest
Well water pump problems

I have Wicor system,sqare D pressure switch.My problem is pressure fluxuation & the pressure switch keeps going on &off .Even when the water is turned off for a few minutes after.I beleive it is a 40 psi system.Pressure gauge reads 40 psi

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-03, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blueboracho2,

It's probably not the pump itself. Generally, with a cycling problem, there is a leak in the pressure tank's bladder control.
The Pumpman should be along to help you determine this for sure.

fred

Old 06-30-03, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Check the air pressure in your pressure tank with a tire gauge
with the pump power turned off and the pressure drained down, it should read two psi below your cut-on pressure, which should be 18 psi for a pump set at 20-40 cut-on/cut-off.
If water comes out of the pressire valve, the bladder is shot and you need to replace the pressure tank.
Visit Ron (Pumpman) Peeks' website at www.peekspump.com and another at www.jessstryker.com for excellent tutorials on wells and pumps.
Ron should be along later.
Good Luck!

Old 06-30-03, 05:05 PM
Liquid plumber
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

> I have Wicor system,sqare D pressure switch.
> My problem is pressure fluxuation & the pressure
> switch keeps going on &off .Even when the water
> is turned off for a few minutes after.I beleive it is a 40 psi
> system.Pressure gauge reads 40 psi

If the pump was short cycling while the water was running, this would be a classic symptom of a waterlogged pressure tank. But for this problem to persist even after the water has been turned off is unusual to say the least. Barring the possibility that your pump is inhabited by a poltergeist or was abducted by an alien spacecraft, my first guess would be that your pressure switch is too sensitive to pressure changes. My second guess would be that the pipe that leads to your pressure tank is partially plugged so that your pump always brings up more water than can flow into the tank. Another problem you may have is an airbound water heater combined with a waterlogged pressure tank.

Robert

Last edited by Liquid plumber; 07-01-03 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-30-03, 07:04 PM
P
Well water pump problems

It does sound like a waterlogging problem, at this point, anyway.
Follow OldGuy's direction on setting proper pressures in the tank and check for a ruptured bladder.
Let us know what you find.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 07-01-03, 02:28 AM
blueboracho2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies

I'll take your advice & let you know how I made out this weekend .Thanks again.

Old 07-02-03, 09:44 AM
H
Your tank is water logged. If there isn't a large enough amount of air in there it takes a very small amount of water to get the pressure back to the shutoff point for the pump switch. in extreme cases, that pump comes on and sends a water hammer through the plumbing because there isn't enough cushion in the pressure tank. When the water hammer reaches the end of the system it momentarily depressurizes the tank enough for the pump to come on again. Then the hammer travels back trough the system raising the pressure in the tank and shuting the pump off again.

This will continue until the air cushion in the pressure tank is replenished or something gives somewhere else.

Old 07-13-03, 09:47 AM
blueboracho2
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks for the advice,it turned out to be the pressure tank was in fact water logged.I will be installing a diaphram type tank as it is supposed to be more dependable than the bladder type.It also has a better warranty.(5 years)

Thanks again