Shower "arm" with ball


Old 07-01-03, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Angry Shower "arm" with ball

Ok, I'm putting in new shower heads in our bathroom and just found out that the shower arms have balls at the end of them. Do I need to take them off, or do I have to replace the whole arm? And if I do need to just take off the ball... any suggestions? We tried vice-grips to no avail. How hard is it to replace the whole arm? We can't see the threads at the other end. I'm scared to screw up our showers.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-03, 11:08 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Replace the ball-end shower arms (you can't remove the ball) with shower arms with male threads on both ends.
Both types just screw into a mounted fitting in the wall with the showerhead on the other end.
You can use a pipe wrench or channel-locks to unscrew the old ones counter-clockwise, since it doesn't matter if you mar them. Use a handle of the channel-locks in the new showerhead end to tighten them into the female threaded wall fitting.
Wrap 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only as the threaded end faces you on the male threads of both ends first. Install the shower arm, then then showerhead.
Good Luck!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: