Loud pop/click when well pump kicks off

Old 07-02-03, 08:57 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Every time my well pump cycles, there is a loud click/pop coming from the pressure tank at the end of the cycle. I guess that's where the switch is that shuts off the pump when the max pressure is reached.

When my sprinklers are running, the pump cylces less than 1 minute apart, and I don't know what this noise is. Pump is in basement, and sometimes I can even hear it from the SECOND floor. If something is wrong, I would like to have it checked out/fixed before I damage anything.

Thanks!!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-03, 09:21 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of pressure tank do you have?

Usually the pressure tank holds a few gallons of water in reserve pushed against a pocket of air to provide pressure so that you have pressure for little things like turning a faucet on and off quickly or even flushing a toilet and it doesn't require your well pump to come on. when there's a steady call for water, once the reserve pressure and water in the tank is depleted, then the pump will usually come on and stay on until it overcomes the demand. It sounds like you may have one of two problems depending on the style tank you have....

Old style pressure tanks just held air above the water inlet and outlet from the tank, but over time the air that's supposed to be in the tank works its way out and then you are left with very little cushion which means that your pump goes on and off more quickly (air compresses but water doesn't). If you have this style tank, you may need to bleed water out of the tank or pump air into the tank.

If you have a newer style tank (usually bright blue and made by wel-x-trol) it's got a rubber bladder in it so that the air cannot escape. If this is the case, then the answer may be a larger volume tank so that you get more uses out of it before the pump kicks on AND the pump would have to run longer to refill it once it was depleted. If you have this type of system, it seems like your sprinkler uses 5 gallons a minute but your well pump fills the tank at 15 gallons a minut, so it quickly catches up on pressure and demand and has to shut off. A larger tank would mean that your pump would have to run longer to refill the tank and then it would be able to go longer between cycles.

As for the noise you hear when your pump kicks on, most pressure switches make some noise. In some cases though, the torque created by the poumo motor when it turns on can shake the pipes around and make noise too. You should double check to make sure that all your pipes are well secured because if they are moving every time that pump comes on, sooner or later your going to get a leak.

Good luck, hope this helped.

Old 07-02-03, 12:19 PM
D
House is only 3 yrs old, and we have the second type of pressure tank that you mentioned.

I can live with the pump cycling often when the sprinklers are on (but thanks for your suggestions) but I was mostly concerned about the noise. The "click" or "pop" sounds rather solid, and none of the EXPOSED pipes are loose or rattling. Can it be possible that the pipe leading from the outside pump to the pressure tank is loose?? Not sure how to tell, or even what to do next.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-03, 12:52 PM
H
Don't worry the click IS usually load enough to hear on the next floor or in the next room. As long as the pipes don't move you should have no worries.

Old 07-02-03, 01:23 PM
D
I should have mentioned this before ... this click was never so loud in the first 2 years in the house, starting getting louder about 6-8 months ago.

None of the "exposed" pipes are loose, but on the other side of the poured concrete foundation (where the pipe enters the house) - can't tell unless I dig down 4 feet!!

If you say no worries, I won't. Thanks!

Old 07-03-03, 07:28 AM
P

Check and see if there is a checkvalve between the pump and tank. If so, you may be hearing the checkvalve slam shut when the pump kicks off. I usually don't recommend using a checkvalve between the two.
You might investigate using a cycle stop valve on your system, especially since the pump is cycling so frequently while the sprinklers are on. A CSV will maintain a constant pressure whether you're using 1 gpm, or 15 gpm. The frequent cycling is damaging the pump motor.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com