Plumbing

Old 07-02-03, 09:46 AM
Dorothy Wright
Visiting Guest
Plumbing

When I flush my toilet, there is a whining sounc. How do I fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-03, 09:59 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes this is caused by debris in the valve assembly inside the toilet tank. The water flow past the debris sets up a vibration that you can hear, like a high pitched whine. Shut off the water supply to the tank, flush the toilet and then get the remaining water out of the tank. Then remove the fill valve assembly. Clean the tank out and then clean the fill valve assembly. BE GENTLE with the rubber parts, cause if it's old they may be fragile. It helps to dismantle as much of the valve assembly as you can so that you can get all the nooks and crannies clean. You may need to put in a new assembly anyway, but sometime the cleaning fixes the problem.

I had a very old tenant that told me her toilet was screaming at her when it filled and she was convinced the apartment was haunted. I didnt' believe her when she told me this, but I went to check it out for her anyway and sure enough, when the toilet was flushed and started to refill, it made a REALLY loud noise. I fixed it as described above.

Good luck.