Relocating gas hot water heater

Old 07-03-03, 08:11 AM
lennyw
Visiting Guest
Relocating gas hot water heater

I am interested in relocating my gas hot water heater and was wondering if the flexible gas line is available? Is it more cost effective to use instead of the black pipe. I plan to install a tee at my present gas hot water connection and split the gas line to use for the gas water heater and a gas fireplace. At the the tee my distance to the gas hot water heater is 15 ft and to the fireplace the distance is around 16ft. Both distances include a couple of turns. I have inquired about the flexible pipe in my area but all of the plumbing stores say I have to be certified to use the flex pipe?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-03, 08:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really don't want run any more flex pipe than you have to. Generally less then 6'. 15' is way too long.

Old 07-03-03, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you need a little card that tells the plumbing supplier you know what you are doing with gas pipe.
This sounds petty to many people, but this is not a water line or a drain line. It is a gas line. Putting it in wrong or making a bad joint can have very serious consequences.
Why don't you talk to a qualified plumber about moving this because you didn't even bring up relocating the vent...