replace sillcock/hose bibb handle


Old 07-05-03, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
replace sillcock/hose bibb handle

The wheel handle on my outdoor faucet broke off & is long gone. I thought I could just buy a universal handle for a round stem & tighten down the set screw. First I tried a 2" sillcock handle with 16 pt. spline from Damon Hardware - (the only other handles they had were for square stems, so I thought this must be right). It fit a tad too loose on the stem.

Then I figured out what *spline* meant and counted the number of grooves on the stem - 12. So I purchased the only handle for a round stem with 12 grooves that Home Depot carried. Well, it is a tad too small!

I'm now at a loss - aren't these durn blasted things standard? My house was built in 69 & I suspect this spigot is original. Any suggestions will be tremendously appreciated as I am exhausted from hauling buckets of water from the house to water my plants.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-03, 04:34 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Lots of different hose bibbs.
If you can find a hose bibb exactly like yours, buy it for future replacement, and use the handle from it on the old one until you do.
Good Luck!
Old 07-06-03, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks Mike. I'll give it a try.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: