Adding ball valve and flex to Gas Line

Old 07-07-03, 12:53 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Adding ball valve and flex to Gas Line

Gonna convert existing elec cooktop to gas cooktop; there's a pre-plumbed gas line to that area.
Gonna shut the gas to the house in order to install shutoff valve, pressure regulator and a flex line.

My Q is: after I shut off the main gas, how long do I need to wait until furnace and water heater pilot lights consume residual gas in the line?? Or, is there a better way to bleed off gas??

Do water heater & furnace need to be electrically disconnected when I shut gas off??

Is regular teflon tape good enough to use at the connections??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-03, 02:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That gas line should already have a shut-off valve somewhere close. You also don't need a pressure regulator on a natural gas line, the meter has that in it. I belive the propane regulator is also outside of the house.
I'll let a "real" plumber answer the other questions, although I use both teflon tape and solution to make any connections.

Old 07-07-03, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You know just enough to kill someone with this gas work.

When you buy the stove, go ahead and pay to have it professionally installed.

I do not believe that gas work should be performed by someone who is trying to learn as he/she goes and has no one qualified to show him/her when something is done wrong.

BTW: "regular" teflon tape is not used for gas work. There is a teflon tape made for gas. This tape is only used in specific instances, which is recommended or not recommended for different types of connections, by various manufacturers of gas appliances or gas fittings.

I do hope you will at least consider what I wrote. I just get tired of seeing gas explosions destroying buildings or killing people. Especially when someone gets injured/killed trying to save a few bucks.