Sewer gas odor

Old 07-07-03, 05:18 PM
mobile
Visiting Guest
Sewer gas odor

Seven year old house: First floor toilet, slab concrete with wood, STINKS (sewer gas) anytime it rains a small quanity. Wind and other weather conditions do not cause problem. In use daily, so no dry traps. Well seated, but have not pulled to check wax ring. On septic tank. No issues outside, tank pumped twice in last 36 months.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this problem exists? Do I need to caulk the base of the toilet? Should I check the ring even though solid on the floor and no water leakage?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-03, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

It sounds like you have a partially clogged vent pipe on the roof.
Go up on the roof and clean out everything that you can reach by hand, and then flush the vent pipe with a water hose sprayer.
Snake it from top to bottom, if you have to, with a heavy-duty plumber's snake.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-07-03, 07:18 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
I would pull toilet and check wax ring.I would also check attic and make sure all vent lines are still connected and go through roof.No leak around toilet is not a sighn the the wax ring is ok.The wax ring is for keeping out sewer gas not water.A properly vented toilet will not leak even without a wax ring.You can tell if you'r vents are ok by filling the fixtures up and then draining.If they drain at a resonable rate and swirl a little things ok.If they drain really fast and make a sucking sound as they rush out then the vents are clogged.Kinda opposite than you would think.