no vent in plumbing system

Old 07-07-03, 06:44 PM
ahlala
Visiting Guest
no vent in plumbing system

Some drain vent questions.

The plumbing system in my house has no vent. There is this little cap (about 2 1/2 inch) that seems to let air in when needed and stays tight the rest of the time.

My question is, how good is this system? It seems to be functionning so far (I bought the house about a year ago) since there are no smells coming out of the drains. But I have doubts about the longevity of the thing.

Also, if I were to route a new vent, would it be possible to drill through the top of the basement wall and have the vent running along the outside wall, through the soffit and then through the roof? Another way of putting it would be : do vents usually run through walls for aesthetic reasons ??

Old 07-07-03, 07:35 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
As long as it is a dry vent you can run it up the out side and above the roof at least 6".The small vent you are talking about is a studder vent.They work well for what they are intended for.Venting a whole house is not what it was intended for.A plumbing system not only needs to pull air in but also push air out.If you are on a public sewer system some houses can get by.On a septic system it couses the system to become closed.This can couse the fixtures to burp and get sewer smells.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: