bathroom faucet stem leak - only when on

Old 07-08-03, 10:37 AM
makngmyway
Visiting Guest
Unhappy bathroom faucet stem leak - only when on

I have a bathroom sink faucet (circa. 1962) with seperate hot and cold knobs. There is no leakage when both hot and cold are turned off, but, when either is turned on, both stems (brass) leak through the threads in the middle, between the two pieces of the stem.

This issue is the by product of my fix to the original problem, which was a dripping faucet when the water was turned off. I replaced the seal and screw at the bottom of each stem (seat?), which resolved the drip, and I put plumbers silicone grease on the internal threads (mentioned above) as the knobs were becoming harder to turn, on each stem...and now I have the problem mentioned above.

I'm thinking I should replace the stems, but do not know the brand (could find no markings on faucet) and they appear to be hard to find. I have a few more plumbing supply places to try.

Any thoughts?
Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-03, 01:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you have a packing problem. This is either an insert similar to a washer that fits around the stem at the top (under the nut that holds the stem in) or rope packing which you wrap around the stem. Unless the stems are chewed up, they should still be usable.

Old 07-08-03, 02:17 PM
makngmyway
Visiting Guest
The leak is not from the outside of the stem, but actually from the center, where both pieces of the stem screw together. The piece of the stem that is turned by the knob, screws into the center of the stem, and I think water is leaking through those threads. Could the threads be worn out? Or should I maybe not have put grease on the threads?

Old 07-08-03, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I think that shiejr diagnosed the problem.
You need to get some graphite or teflon packing string, turn off the water, remove the faucet handles. unscrew the stem retaining nut, and re-pack around the stem with the packing string.
Good Luck!

Old 07-09-03, 02:22 PM
makngmyway
Visiting Guest
OK...thanks OldGuy and schiejr, I'll give it a try.

Old 07-14-03, 05:49 AM
makngmyway
Visiting Guest
schiejr and OldGuy...

Thank you both very much for your help!!! You definitely pointed me in the right direction. It was indeed a packing problem in the stem. I replaced the old packing in the stems with new O rings, and the stems no longer leak.

Old 07-14-03, 08:15 PM
S
You are welcome. Glad you got the problem solved-thanks for letting us know how it turned out.