Flush toilet and flood the shower - help!

Old 07-08-03, 10:53 PM
derstupid
Visiting Guest
Flush toilet and flood the shower - help!

If I flush the toliet water rises up through my shower drain. I tried plunging, chemicals etc to no avail. I tried running a snake through the drain pipe and i cannot make all the twists and turns. Is the problem in the drain (I got about 2 feet in without finding a clog) or is it a mainline problem? Do I need to remove the toilet and snake that way through the sewage drain? If anyone can shed some light that would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-03, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will be the mainline, see if there is a clean-out on the outside of the house, somewhere, and clean it out from there.

Old 07-09-03, 08:34 AM
derstupid
Visiting Guest
I'm pretty clueless on most of this stuff. I own an older home (1959). What would the clean out look like outside of the house?
Can you give a brief description?

Old 07-09-03, 09:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

There will be a threaded plug (probably 4") with a square cap for the wrench to bite on to unscrew it counter-clockwise.
Good Luck!

Old 07-09-03, 12:44 PM
derstupid
Visiting Guest
Thanks Everyone. I have one more question if you all don't mind. I just want to be sure of the problem. All of my other sinks, baths, toilets are all running fine with no back up, if it was a problem with the main sewage line wouldn't all of the other things back up too? Again, I don't know alot about this stuff and before I go through the trouble of snaking the main line I just want to be relatively sure that's where the problem is.

Old 07-09-03, 02:37 PM
If you say the toilet when it's flushed comes up in the shower, this tells me there is a blockage in the mainline, some where, after the shower connects to the mainline.

Old 07-09-03, 03:30 PM
derstupid
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot.