galvanized nipple

Old 07-11-03, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
galvanized nipple

i replaced a bathroom faucet and drain assembly...in the process of doing that i noticed the hot and cold water turn-off valves did not turn the water completely off..so i replaced them...in replacing them, the galvanized nipples coming through the walls had about 80% build-up...it was difficult to see through the other side of a 2 inch nipple...simply enough...just remove them and replace them (i had another post telling me that it was easy)...hot water side was easy...i removed it no problem and replaced the nipple and the valve...however...i worked on the cold water side for about an hour...could not budge it...it would not break free and turn...i could not get enough leverage or strength in a small space to turn it...so i simply cleaned out as much rust and build up with a screwdriver and put the new valve on...but now...the first 2 seconds of running cold water is usually orange...

HOW IN THE WORLD DO I REMOVE THAT THING???

NOTE: i am six feet 4 inches tall working in a small cabinet space...i had a very difficult time doing this job simply because i could not move around and get to everything easily...the sink is tiled in so i could not remove the sink and try from above...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-03, 07:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

It may take some extra leverage to remove a badly rusted and corroded galvanized nipple.
Do you have room for a larger pipe wrench or a cheater pipe on your wrench?

Old 07-11-03, 08:33 AM
no room

i don't have much room for a bigger pipe wrench, nor cheater bar...

i will try it...is it possible to put too much pressure on the nipple and cause a leak some where behind the wall with the copper water supply line???

thanks...michael

Old 07-11-03, 09:10 AM
Cool

A galvanized nipple is screwed into a copper wall fitting?
There apparently has been electrolysis corrosion between the two metals, and you may have to open up the wall to repair it properly.
Give it a try, and see what happens.
Good Luck!

Old 07-11-03, 10:37 AM
copper??

actually...it looks like a brass elbow that the nipple is attached to...what about that...

Old 07-11-03, 11:37 AM
Cool

Brass and copper are O.K.
Are you sure that it is threaded, or is it maybe brazed?

Old 07-11-03, 12:24 PM
brazed???

the hot water nipple came off fairly easily...it was a 3/4 inch threaded galvanized nipple...so i assume the cold is the same...it looks as if it is threaded from what little space i can see the brass elbow and nipple in the wall...

what is brazed???

Old 07-11-03, 12:53 PM
Cool

Brazed with a torch, similar to soldering but more like a weld.
Sometimes to help break a threaded fitting loose, you can try to "trighten" it a bit, and then back it out counter-clockwise.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-13-03, 10:17 PM
The brass elbows are a very good sign... it indicates that you don't have much galvanized in the house other than that little nipple that is left... Anyway, you simply have to be stronger than the nipple!... You have to turn it... If you break the copper in the wall, then you will have an excuse to open up the wall... By the way, if it was installed properly, it is unlikely that you will break it... The brass elbow is most likely a "drop-eared 90" which means it has two little 'ears' that are used to screw it down securely so that the nipple can be screwed in and out if needed...