drain w/garbage disposal clogged

Old 07-11-03, 12:46 PM
beachparlor
Visiting Guest
drain w/garbage disposal clogged

My garbage disposal drain is clogged. I've tryed to use a plundger, but it doesn't seem to have any push. The disposal grinder is working, the stuff just doesn't go anywhere. I'm about to try some liquid drano, but wasn't sure if it would harm the disposal, or if there is something else that may be wrong with it. This unit is only a few years old and I've never had a problem with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-03, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You have to plug the other side of the sink to get a plunger to work. I would NOT use Drano or other caustic drain cleaner.
Have you removed the trap to check it for blockage? (Put a bucket or large pan under it to catch the water.)
If the blockage isn't in the trap, it may be in the drain line, and you'll have to snake it with a flexible crank-handle snake to clear it.
Good Luck!

Old 07-11-03, 01:16 PM
beachparlor
Visiting Guest
The plundger worked! Thanks a lot.

Old 07-12-03, 10:14 PM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by OldGuy
You have to plug the other side of the sink to get a plunger to work. I would NOT use Drano or other caustic drain cleaner.
Have you removed the trap to check it for blockage? (Put a bucket or large pan under it to catch the water.)
If the blockage isn't in the trap, it may be in the drain line, and you'll have to snake it with a flexible crank-handle snake to clear it.
Good Luck!
I had a friend over and to my horror, she emptied last night's party leftovers of shrimp creole and rice into my kitchen sink disposal. I *never* dump anything down my disposal.

Well, it's blocked again, and draining very slow.

I live on the 3rd floor of a 3-story apartment building. I can get about a spaghetti pot full of water down the drain before it backs up. Each of our drains in the building is independent of the other apartments.

I've tried pouring salt, baking soda, and vinegar down the drain (makes a bubbly abrasive slurry) and that didn't help.

I poured a spaghetti pot of boiling water down the drain, and that didn't help.

I blocked that overflow oulet coming out of the sink, and worked the drain with a plunger, and that didn't help.

This has happened 3 times to me in the past. Each time, the blockage was down on the street level, about 35 feet down. The plumber had to come in with a snake and make a mess of my kitchen while he pushed and pulled a snake down my kitchen drain pipe. He said there was just a "bunch of crap" down where my pipe runs into the horizontal run before it connects with the county sewer line.

Well, I've got a blocked drain again. It's only been about 3 months since the plumber was here before clearing my blocked drain.

Any suggestions what I can do? I'm not getting rich calling the plumber out here all the time.

Old 07-13-03, 01:09 AM
Cool

If you can only pour a spaghetti pot of water down the drain before it backs up, then the partial clog isn't 35 feet down.
You likely have a 1.5" drain pipe from your kithcen sink, so the blockage is closer.
If you can't move it with a plunger after blocking the other drain (what "overflow outlet" are you talking about...the dishwasher air gap?), you can try a good enzyme-based drain cleaner such as DrainCare.
It is non-caustic, and won't hurt your sink, disposal, or pipes, but it will eat out organic matter, usually overnight.
You just run a little warm water, pour in the DrainCare, let it sit overnight, and then flush it with very hot water. If the clog is bad, it may take more than one try.
Good Luck!

Old 07-13-03, 02:16 PM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Thanks OG.

I just got back from Home Depot with 2 items:

- Drain Care, for slow drains
- Drain Opener, for clogged drains

I'm gonna try the Drain Care product, as you've recommended, tonight.

The drain is getting worse, taking much longer to drain. Still, slow, not totally clogged. But I think bits and pieces are going down the kitchen sink and eventually it will clog. If that happens, I'll try the Drain Opener.

We'll see what happens. Hope these work.

Old 07-13-03, 10:04 PM
There is a very good chance that the rice is stuck right in the p-trap or in the arm as OldGuy suggested... And if you had a stoppage THEN or NOW 35 feet away and "at street level," every piece of plumbing in the house would have been backing up in a tub somewhere and your kitchen sink would still have been draining fine... Anyway, you probably need to get under the sink and take the trap out, and see if you can clear the drain there, or run a snake down the arm.... The drain opener for slow drains helps with long time buildup and takes a while to work, and the clog opener will eat up hair and sludge okay, but isn't gonna help with rice and shrimp tails... Get a snake...

Old 07-14-03, 08:07 AM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Just to let you all know that I think the drain is working properly now.

I used Drain Care on it last night, and didn't run any water through it for the last 12 hours.

This morning, I filled up the sink (single basin sink) and pulled the plug.

The water drained (got a little vortex action), and when it finished, it made that "sucking" sound at the end, which a plumber told me is "music to a plumber's ears".

I filled up the sink again, immediately, and pulled the plug and it drained properly again.

So, I've now run about 8 spaghetti pots full of water consecutively down the drain, and it hasn't backed up, and I get that sucking sound at the end.

I think it's working good now.

Not sure what was slowing down my drain, or what cured it -- if it was Drain Opener that I used earlier, or Drain Care that I used overnight, but it's working well now.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.